Summary of Meeting Purpose
Water used during the production of fruits and vegetables represents a potential pathway for contamination with human pathogens. In the Food Safety Modernization Act’s (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule (PSR), microbial quality standards were established for agricultural water that comes in contact with produce to reduce risks associated with agricultural water use. However, FDA received feedback from numerous stakeholders raising concerns that some of these standards may be too complex to understand and too difficult to implement. In response to these concerns, FDA is considering how to address these issues by exploring ways to simplify the PSR standards related to agricultural water.
The two-day Water Summit is an engagement opportunity for growers, regulatory personal, industry representatives, educators, and researchers to increase understanding and work collaboratively to develop ideas that support risk reduction related to water. This Water Summit will include informational presentations and breakout discussions. Participants will explore challenges related to the requirements of Subpart E – Agricultural Water and discuss potential solutions that are workable while still protecting public health.
Registration is now closed. Due to the logistics of facilitating this interactive Water Summit, space was limited to approximately 100 participants. In order to maintain a diversity of organizations and individuals represented at the meeting, we also limited registration to one individual per company/organization. If you were unable to register for the meeting in Covington, please consider participating through one of the following options. After the meeting concludes, we will also provide a recording of the meeting on our website.
Watch and Listen to the Live Webinar
A live one-way audio and video stream is available and free to the public. Our Zoom license currently provides 1000 spots each day, so register using the links on the left-handed panel now to reserve your seat!
Participate at a Remote Location
Through collaboration with the four FSMA Regional Centers, we will be organizing remote breakout groups. These groups will meet on the exact dates of the Water Summit, stream the meeting live to their location and conduct breakout groups at the same time as the Water Summit. Information from these groups will be fed into the meeting real time so that their feedback can be integrated into the meeting. Contact information is provided below if you are interested in attending or participating through one of the remote connections.
North Central Region Center for FSMA Training, Extension, and Technical Assistance
- The North Central Region will be hosting several sites. Please contact the person in the state you are interested in attending. For all other questions, please contact Ellen Johnsen.
- Indiana, Evansville – Contact: Larry Caplan | Registration Information
- Indiana, Crown Point – Contact: Nikky Witkowski | Registration Information
- Michigan, Mason – Contact: Phil Tocco or Kristin Esch
- Iowa, Ames – Contact: Ellen Johnsen
- Kansas, Olathe – Contact: Londa Nwadike | Registration Information
- Minnesota, St. Paul – Contact: Lillian Otieno | Registration Information
Northeast Center to Advance Food Safety (NECAFS)
- Maryland, College Park - University of Maryland – Contact: Rachel Goldstein
- Vermont, Barre - University of Vermont – Contact: Rachel Schattman
- New York, Geneva - Cornell University - Contact: Lindsay Springer | Registration Information
- Maine, Orono - University of Maine – Contact: Robson Machado
Southern Center for Training, Education, Extension, Outreach, and Technical Assistance to Enhance Food Safety
- Alabama, Hazel Green – Contact: Armitra Jackson-Davis or Dedrick Davis | Registration Information
- Florida, UF IFAS GCREC, Balm, FL – Contact: Jessica Lepper or Rachel McEgan | Registration Information
- Georgia, Tifton – Contact: Beth Oleson | Registration Information
- Louisiana, Baton Rouge – Contact: Achyut Adhikari | Registration Information
- North Carolina, Raleigh – Contact: Elena Rodgers | Registration Information
- South Carolina, Greenville – Contact: Julie Northcutt | Registration Information
- Texas, College Station – Contact: Alex Castillo | Flyer | Registration Information
- Texas, Uvalde – Contact: Matthew Taylor | Registration Information
- Texas, Weslaco – Contact: Juan Anciso | Registration Information
- Puerto Rico – Contact: Maria Plaza | Registration Information
Western Center for Training, Education, Extension, Outreach, and Technical Assistance Center to Enhance Food Safety
- Arizona, Maricopa – Contact: Natalie Brassill or Jessica Dery | Registration Information
- Arizona, Yuma – Contact: Teressa Lopez
- California, Davis – Contact: Erin DiCaprio, Linda Harris
- Colorado, Grand Junction – Contact: Seth Urbanowitz | Registration Information
- Colorado, Longmont - Contact: Martha Sullins | Registration Information
- Oregon, Portland – Contact: Jovana Kovacevic, Joy Waite-Cusic or Sue Davis
- Washington, Mt. Vernon – Contact: Faith Critzer
- Washington, Yakima – Contact: Jacqui Gordon Nunez
We look forward to your participation and ideas at the Summit!
The PSA Team